Turai ki Subzi (Ridge Gourd Curry)
Enjoy this easy on digestion vegetable with flavourful Indian spices. The vegetable can be enjoyed with both rice and bread.
How to choose Turai (Ridge Gourd)?
The secret to a good turai vegetable is soft immature turai pieces. Pick pieces that are soft, long and green. Do not pick pieces that have thick deep ridges.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Green chili pepper diced, optional
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 1 ¼ cup Tomato chopped
- ½ tablespoon ginger grated
- ½ tablespoon garlic minced
- 5 cups Ridge Gourd (Turai) peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Place the pressure cooker on gas, add oil and cumin seeds. Saute for 30 seconds.
- When the cumin seeds change color, add green chili, onions, ginger and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes until the onions become golden brown while stirring frequently.
- Add tomato and spices to the cooker and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped ridge gourd and water. Now close the lid of the pressure cooker and wait for 2 whistles.
- Leave the pressure cooker for 5 mins to release the pressure naturally.
- Open the pressure cooker and add lime juice and mix with the curry.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve with roti or rice.