Karele ki Sabzi (Bitter Gourd)
Try this recipe to make this not so loved vegetable and change your opinion on this veggie.
Prep Time:15 mins
cook Time : 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 1/4 tsp Amchoor powder
Rinse karela (bitter gourd) and cut into two half. Then cut karela into thin slices and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Now add 1 tablespoon salt to karela, mix well and keep it aside for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut onion and tomatoes into thin slices nd keep aside.
- After 30 minutes, squeeze out karela slices with the help of both hands to remove water contents formed because of salt. This helps to remove bitterness. Wash the karela and remove excess water with kitchen towel.
- Now add 2 tablespoon oil to non-stick pan and add few karela slices and shallow fry on medium flame until karela slices become crisp. Repeat this till all karela pieces are crispy. keep them on kitchen towel to soak off excess oil.
- In the same pan now add 2 tsp oil, cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Then add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and sauté for a minute.
- Add thin sliced onion to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Once onion are cooked, add tomatoes and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook for 3 more minutes on medium flame.
- Now add red chilli powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder and mix well.
- Finally add shallow fried karela chips, salt, amchoor powder and mix well. Close lid and cook for just another 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame
- Karela fry is ready.
- Serve with bread. Enjoy!