Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Makes: 3 cups
- 32 bhindi or 500grms (okra/ladyfingers)
- 1 big onion
- 2 green chilli (optional)
- 3 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 11/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1/2 lemon juice ( optional)
- Wash and dry the bhindi, Make sure it is properly dry.
- Chop bhindi in 1/2 inch pieces and keep aside.
- Slice 1 big onion and 2 green chillies.
- In a pan add 3 tablespoon mustard oil and heat it to its smoking point.
- Add sliced onions and green chillies and saute for a min.
- Now add chopped bhindi and saute it for a min.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, salt and coriander powder and mix it well. Cook the bhindi on low to medium flame.
- Cover for 1 min only and then cook open.
- Cook till bhindi is tender.
- Don't overcook it, when the bhindi is tender add 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder or dried mango powder and give it a mix. Use a gentle hand to mix it all.
- If bhindi starts getting slimy add 1/2 lemon juice. Omit this step if bhindi is not slimy.
- It’s ready to serve, serve it with roti or paratha, dal, salad and chutney.
- Dry the bhindi nicely with kitchen cloth so that it don’t get slimy.
- Don’t cover the bhindi for long while cooking otherwise it will become mushy and slimy.